Wednesday, August 16, 2006

That little thing he did - just by being there

While preparing for dinner a few days ago, it suddenly dawned on me how important it is to treasure the people around us. Sometimes we are too busy, sometimes we just procrastinate, and yet at other times there seem to be other more important things to attend to - until it is all too late. I still cry sometimes to think of how sudden my maternal grandparents passed away, as they had been there when my parents were not able to, and they had watched me more than my parents had when I was a young child, they were at least physically there when I was hurt (never mind how grandma used to beat me for no apparent reason).... and I thought of how Du had been there for me on one of those occasions that I needed someone to rely on.

It is so funny when I think of the time I had to undergo a laporascopy (actually a minor surgery as I had to have 2 minor cuts - one within my belly button and the other near my crotch area) and Du took half a day leave just to be there for me when I get wheeled out of the operating theatre. Come to think of it - it was the first show of how much he really loves me. Even my parents were not there. My mother cannot even remember I told her I had to undergo surgery, but my dad had at least sent me to the hospital as he wasn't working that day. He didn't stay with me because he thought the parking will cost a bomb, but I think he was probably uncomfortable about it.

It was a little embarrassing for me at first, as I had to change into the operation clothes with nothing else underneath.... and he was there with me... well, I was a little bit shy about it though, even though I've never told him about it. Needless to say, I have never told him too how touched I am that he did something like this for me so early on in our relationship. As I nearly fainted while waiting for a cab to get home after the day surgery, it made me feel even more fortunate to have him around. And this is one of those things I try to remember when I get really angry with him, and it almost always make me look at him in a more positive light. I will always remember this little thing he did for me - just by being there. And deep in my mind I know, he'll always be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home