Thursday, July 13, 2006

A lucky guy ... I am

I grew up with very low self esteem. I still remember in my teenage days feeling so nervous just talking to the banker over the counter. It is tough talking to a stranger and it of course never crossed my mind that I can ever ask a girl out. Moreover, I was fat and really not that bright in school, who would go out with someone like me, I always thought. As it was, dating was just a fantasy.

It was after 2 and a half years of national service that my life started to turn around. I decided I would be a different me and I did just that. I participated in more activities, know more people. More than all the 20 years of my life before that added together. It is also in those few years that I achieved the most, in sports and in school. I led the archery team at one point and also graduated with top honors in my class.

Despite all that, I remained unattached. The rational side of me told me to focus on the things that matter. The truth however which I only realised later is that despite the all the achievement, I was still not ready for a relationship. I was just avoiding what I was still uncomfortable with.

I started work at a business consulting firm and got the job that most of my peers would deem as the dream job. High pay, get to travel ...etc. Long hours was the norm and their is hardly anytime left for anything else in life.

At some point it did seem that I would remain single for a long time to come. However, I am a lucky guy. I am lucky to have known Pearline as a junior in the archery club, I am lucky to have been on a project in Germany when she was working at a German company in Singapore, I am lucky that she remembered me, I am lucky that I emailed her and she replied, I am lucky that she had time to go out with me during my fly backs from Germany, I am lucky that there is sms to help us keep in touch daily, I am lucky that she agreed to be my girlfriend and stayed by me, I am lucky that she sees the gem in me that I am not confident enought to acknowledge and I am lucky that she is now my wife. I am indeed a lucky man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home